Home / Match Reports / U14s Report 5th March’17: Derby 19 v 05 Paviors (NLD Cup Final)

U14s Report 5th March’17: Derby 19 v 05 Paviors (NLD Cup Final)

After driving all the way to Sleaford in the pouring rain – Paviors stood in the way of Derby U14s retaining the NLD cup. Our journey to the final was an impressive win against Nott’s Moderns and a hard fought away semi-final at Scunthorpe.

Although having beaten them comprehensively earlier in the Season all the boys knew the quality of the Paviors side and that today would be very different and so it proved.

Shortly after arriving the rain finally stopped and held off until after the match.

Derby started well and scored after the first set of phases however Paviors dusted themselves off and came back quickly to score with a try of their own in typical Paviors style out wide. A hard fought first half ensued with Derby scoring another try under the posts to lead 12 – 5 at half time. With the wind against them in the second half, was 12-5 going to be enough? The break gave us time to review our game plan and play a little wider out ourselves. The work rate and endeavour was never in question and in the conditions was impressive throughout the game.

Shortly into the second half Derby worked a ball out wide and scored a 3rd try taking the score to 19 – 5, our change of focus producing points straight away. With both teams continuing to put in maximum effort and robust defence from both sides the try lines were not breached again despite some long periods of pressure from Derby.

The clock continued to count down and with most of the game now being played in the Paviors half of the field the coaches started to relax knowing that the lads should see it through…and that they did! The final whistle bringing scenes of celebration for all 19 players involved in the match.

So Derby U14s retained the Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire & Derbyshire Cup in a hard fought but impressive game of rugby.

A great day for all, Players, coaches, parents and travelling supporters in horrendous weather and conditions.

Match Report by Simon Parke