Welcome to the Derby Colts section of the website
We run two teams - Senior Colts (U19) and Junior
Colts (U17). Both teams train together on the same nights as we
believe this aids development and continuity.
The Coaching Team aim to build on the good work completed by the Junior section; it will further develop the core skills of our Colts Players through building on strengths in their rugby playing ability & assessing and addressing any weaknesses.
To achieve this there should be a clear emphasis on player development in key areas such as;
• Handling, Tackling, Decision Making, Fitness, Agility etc,
• Position specific skill training,
• Mini skills: Line out, Scrummage, Defence, Attack, Rucking, Mauling etc,
• Team work
• Also make training enjoyable yet challenging
A more professional structure has been implemented that has clear aims and objectives to:
1. Encourage players to stay at the club because they will be able to recognise the coaching offered is of a high standard and delivered with a player centred approach
2. Inspire other younger players to progress onto playing for the colts.
3. Produce young players that in the future will be capable of playing 1st & senior Team Rugby
4. Produce competitive teams for both local and national competitions.
5. Develop a reputation locally that would be inviting to other local players whose teams may have disbanded and so would welcome the opportunity to join Derby RFC.
All Colts Coaches are working towards Level 2 Coach qualification or above and want to challenge themselves with continued personal development. In return the Club has committed itself to supporting these coaches in their development.
As with last season, both the Senior & Junior Colts will field their strongest available sides for their respective League, Cup & National Cup Matches (it is expected that there will be opportunities for Junior Colts to play up in the Senior Colts for development with agreement).