Home / Match Reports / Seniors Match Reports / 29th Sep’18 1st XV Report: Bournville 41 v 37 Derby

29th Sep’18 1st XV Report: Bournville 41 v 37 Derby

Derby travelled to Bournville’s impressive new home, Avery Fields, looking to build on their fine display against Sheffield.

Josh Bingham made his first start of the season at fly half, while Dan Hyans, Charlie Barker and Ben Marsden all returned to the side. Jake Barker returned after injury to claim a place on the bench.

It only took 7 minutes for Bournville to open the scoring, with a clever flick pass creating the score. 12 minutes later a Bournville penalty increased their lead.

Derby got on the scoreboard after 22 minutes. Good driving from the forwards, with Sam Herrington and Luke Willmott prominent, ended with Martin Kent crashing over.

A 10 minute spell, starting in the 26th minute, proved very costly for Derby as Bournville ran in 3 converted tries, to extend their lead to 29 – 5.

Derby gave themselves some hope just before the break, when the forwards were again the providers, creating the space to allow Ollie Saffell to force his way over the line.

The interval saw Bournville in control with a 19 point lead. Derby needed to improve if they were to take anything out of the game. Bournville would start the 2nd half with 14 men, with a player in the sin bin for an offence in the build up to the Derby try.

4 minutes into the 2nd half and Derby were playing against 13 men, as another Bournville player was dispatched to the sin bin.

Derby made the advantage count, when Sam Herrington claimed a line out and Luke Willmott touched down.

Unfortunately for Derby, it was Bournville who scored next, with a loose Derby kick being fielded and run back to score in the corner.

Just as Bournville returned to 15 men, they lost another player to the sin bin and again Derby made them pay. A pin point Crossfield kick from Josh Bingham dropped into the hands of McGrath Van Wyk, who scored. Josh Tizard added the conversion.

Derby scored again, after 65 minutes, when a good run from Jake Roome created the space and Sam Herrington finished the move.

This cut the deficit to 7 points, but Bournville struck again with a converted try to extend their lead.

A run by McGrath Van Wyk created a chance and Josh Tizard burst through to score, with 6 minutes left.

Derby were still not finished and Jack Bates touched down in injury time to narrow the gap to 4 points.

Derby had 2 further line out chances before the final whistle, but were unable to make them count.

Derby left with 2 league points, having done well in the 2nd half, winning it 27 – 12, but having left themselves with too big a mountain to climb in the 1st half.

Bridgnorth are the visitors at Haslams next week.

Come on Derby !

Match Report by Richard Bambra