Home / Archives / Reports 2017/18 Seniors / 25th Nov’17 1st XV Report: Newbold on Avon 19 v 36 Derby

25th Nov’17 1st XV Report: Newbold on Avon 19 v 36 Derby


Luke Willmott keeps a tight hold of the ball as the Newbold players make the tackle. Luke is supported by (L-R) Ben Coombes, Josh Tilford, Martin Kent, Jack Dawson and Josh Tizard

Derby made 3 changes to the starting XV, with Pete Wilcox and Ben Coombes returning to the front row, while Josh Tilford started in the 2nd row.

Derby kicked off on a cold day and were in the lead after just 2 minutes. Ben Marlow made a break and George Campbell made further ground. When he was stopped, the ball was recycled and Luke Willmott picked up to score.

4 minutes later, Derby went further ahead. George Castledine kicked through and a good Derby chase forced Newbold to ground the ball behind their own line, giving Derby a 5 metre scrum. The scrum was won and after a number of pick and drives, Martin Kent crashed over. George Castledine converted to make it 12- 0 to Derby.

Newbold tried to work their way back into the game, but were rocked by 2 further Derby tries in the space of 4 minutes. The first came with 23 minutes on the clock, when a Tom Taylor-Dawes break was taken on by Ben Coombes, allowing Luke Willmott to score. George Castledine converted. The bonus point try came from a flowing move which finished with Ben Marlow sprinting away to score in the corner. This made the score 24 – 0 to Derby, and there were no further scores before the interval, although Derby had to defend really well for the final phase of the half, as Newbold looked to get back in the game.

The 2nd half started with Newbold again on the attack, although it was Derby who scored first, 5 minutes into the half. George Castledine kicked towards the corner, where Luke Willmott took the ball and completed his hat trick. George Castledine then kicked an excellent conversion.

Newbold scored a converted try, after 50 minutes, to open their account.

The Derby forwards again created the pressure which opened the gaps in the Newbold defence and it was Luke Willmott who touched down, to score his 4th try of the game. The last Derby player to manage this was Chris Meddings, who scored 5 against Towcestrians in September 2011.

A fracas, after 66 minutes, saw 3 players dispatched to the sin bin. Martin Kent and Ryan Manning were the 2 Derby offenders.

This gave Newbold a man advantage and they made it count, scoring a try and being awarded a penalty try during the 10 minutes.

The final whistle went and Derby had a hard earned victory, which moves them to 5th in the table.

2nd place Newport arrive at Haslams next week.

Come on Derby !

Match Report by Richard Bambra


Photographs of the Newbold on Avon v Derby game can be viewed in the galleries section on the e4creative photography website at www.e4creative-photography.co.uk/galleries/gallery/25112017-newbold-on-avon-1st-xv-v-derby-1st-xv