Home / Archives / Reports 2018/19 Seniors / 20th Oct’18 1st XV Report: Broadstreet 17 v 17 Derby

20th Oct’18 1st XV Report: Broadstreet 17 v 17 Derby

Last time Derby travelled to Ivor Preece Field, in February 2017, they came away chastened by a 53 – 8 thrashing. Since then Broadstreet have been promoted and relegated.

A dry, pleasant autumn day greeted the sides as they ran out. Charlie Barker and George Campbell returned to the starting XV, while Callum Slater made his debut from the bench.

Broadstreet kicked off and it was Derby who pressed first. They took the lead after 9 minutes when McGrath Van Wyk kicked a penalty.

Broadstreet soon hit back. A good phase of play saw the ball moved left and right, leading to a 4 on 1 overlap and a try.

Both sides defended well for the rest of the half, with Broadstreet probably having more of the ball and territory.

Half time saw the scoreboard registering 5 – 3 to Broadstreet after a tight 40 minutes, leaving both sides feeling that victory could be achieved.

The second half could not have started much better for Derby. A Broadstreet pass went to ground, on half way, after 2 minutes. McGrath Van Wyk scooped the ball up and sprinted clear to the line. He then converted to put Derby 5 points ahead.

2 tries in 7 minutes put  Broadstreet back in front.  The first came from a loose Derby kick, which was run back, creating the space for the score. The 2nd was a clever chip through and a victorious race to touch down. With 1 conversion, Broadstreet now led by 7 points.

Derby dug deep and responded with 8 minutes left and what a glorious response it was !

Ben Marlow found McGrath Van Wyk. He sprinted past defenders and passed back inside to the supporting Ben Marlow. Ben Marlow then raced clear to score. McGrath Van Wyk added the conversion to tie the game.

As the game entered injury time, Broadstreet had one final opportunity. Sam Herrington was shown a yellow card and Broadstreet kicked the penalty into touch, deep into the Derby 22. Fortunately for Derby, the throw was judged not straight, giving them a scrum. Possession was secured, the ball kicked to touch and the final whistle blew, ending a tense game all square.

Derby should be pleased with their performance, against a tough side and in gaining points away from home.

The last time Derby drew a game was in December 2008, when they drew away at Leighton Buzzard, 13 all.

Friday night rugby comes to Derby next week as Burton visit Haslams.

Come on Derby !

Match Report by Richard Bambra