Home / Match Reports / Seniors Match Reports / 15th Sep’18 1st XV Report: Scunthorpe 41 v 21 Derby

15th Sep’18 1st XV Report: Scunthorpe 41 v 21 Derby

Derby travelled to Heslam Park, expecting a tough game at a venue that has not seen many victories in recent times.

Jack Dawson and Ryan Manning came into the starting line-up.

Scunthorpe kicked off, but it was Derby who were into their stride first. After 10 minutes they were 6 – 0 up, courtesy of 2 George Castledine penalties.

Scunthorpe are a powerful side and despite some tremendous defensive tackling from Derby, they were able to make inroads.

3 times the forwards drove over the Derby line and each time it was prop Cole who touched down. With Cook converting 1of them, Scunthorpe were 17 – 6 ahead, after 39 minutes.

Derby hit back before the break. George Castledine kicked deep into Scunthorpe territory and the ball evaded all the defenders, allowing Ryan Manning to scoop it up. He found Josh Pearson on his shoulder and he sped away to score.

Derby could have scored again before the break. Firstly, Ryan Manning made a superb break, but Scunthorpe scrambled the ball clear. Then, the influential Luke Willmott, was over the line, but lost the ball in the act of touching down.

Half time saw Scunthorpe 17 – 11 ahead.

Derby started the 2nd half well, but were unable to add to their score, before 2 Scunthorpe tries, in 5 minutes, extended their lead.  Brunt and Hyde were the scorers, with Cook converting 1, to make the score 29 – 11.

The 2nd of these tries was particularly unfortunate for Derby, as they were attacking.  Ryan Manning had the ball and was injured in an accidental collision. Scunthorpe picked up and swept downfield to score, while Manning was carried off and played no further part in the game.

Derby showed good team spirit and resilience and kept taking the game to Scunthorpe. They were rewarded when, after many phases of play, Jake Roome touched down in the corner.

Scunthorpe still kept coming though and 2 further tries, from Wood and Elliott, with a conversion from Cook took their score to 41.

It was Derby who had the last word, when Ben Marlow put Luke Willmott away and he powered over to score.

The final whistle went and Scunthorpe were deserved victors, but Derby can hold their heads high; they competed for the entire game and scored 3 good tries.

The result also ends Derby’s interest in The NLD Cup for this season, with the match being played as a double header.

Next week will be another tough game as Sheffield are the visitors to Haslams on VP Day.

Come on Derby !

Match Report by Richard Bambra.