Home / Archives / Reports 2017/18 Seniors / 11th Nov’17 1st XV Report: Derby 73 v 03 Longton

11th Nov’17 1st XV Report: Derby 73 v 03 Longton


With Ben Marlow in support, Derby’s winger George Campbell attempts to evade the Longton tacklers as the touchline supporters look on.

Derby made 2 changes to the side, with Luke Frixou on International duty and McGrath Van Wyk injured, Ben Trembling and George Campbell started.

Longton kicked off, but it was Derby who struck first, with a George Castledine penalty, after 14 minutes. The first of 10 tries arrived 3 minutes later; a Ben Marlow break led to Sam Martin touching down.

With 21 minutes on the clock, Longton kicked a penalty to narrow the gap to 7.

Derby then wrapped the game up with 4 tries in the spell before half time.

A George Campbell break led to the first, when he was stopped short and Derby won a 5m scrum. The ball was won, went wide and it was George Campbell who finished the move off by touching down.

Another George Campbell break was taken on by Ben Marlow who released Sam Tebbs to score.

2 minutes before the break Derby were awarded a penalty 5 metres from the Longton line. Luke Willmott tapped and went over unopposed.

It was Luke Willmott who scored again, with the final play of the half, when Sam Martin intercepted a Longton pass and found Luke Willmott outside him.

With George Castledine converting all 5 tries, Derby were 38 – 3 ahead at the interval.

The second half started in similar vein, with a Jack Dawson break allowing Ben Marlow to score his 6th try of the season.

Longton continued to battle hard and their heads didn’t drop; in fact the scrum had parity with Derby, but once the game moved beyond the set piece, Derby were playing at a different level.

The next try arrived after 62 minutes and this time it was a Ben Marlow break which led to a Jack Dawson try.

Derby scored 3 more tries in the final 13 minutes, to complete Longton’s misery. The first went to Sam Martin, with Sam Tebbs prominent in the build-up, completing a double for the day.

With 2 minutes remaining, Louis Hicks burst onto the ball, 25 metres out, sliced through the defence and scored his first try for the club.

The final try went to Ryan Manning, after breaks from Ben Marlow and Luke Willmott set him away.

George Castledine converted all 5 second half tries, to complete a faultless day from the tee, scoring 23 points in total.

Derby have a week off next week, before they return to league action, with a visit to Newbold on Avon.

Come on Derby !

Match Report by Richard Bambra


Photographs of the Derby v Longton game can be viewed in the Galleries section on the e4creative photography website at… www.e4creative-photography.co.uk/galleries/gallery/11112017-derby-1st-xv-v-longton-1st-xv/